A licensed financial professional could be at greater risk of identity theft. The insurance license creates additional opportunities for thieves to steal large amounts of information and money. This has been an increased problem the past few years, as these imposters take the identities and related licenses to create huge losses and recovery nightmares for the victim agents and their carriers.
This is why it’s very important to take substantial precautions to protect yourself from identity theft. It means following these steps:
- Being careful while providing personal identifying information.
- Verify the legitimacy of the person asking for information before providing it.
- Review personal information and appointments on state licensure websites on a regular basis.
- Review the consumer credit report regularly.
- Look for unfamiliar addresses in your history and inquiries from carriers, especially if you haven’t applied for an appointment with them.
- Subscribe to a credit monitoring service.
- Watch for address change confirmations received.
For financial professional use only. Not for use with consumers.